Wednesday, October 3, 2012

September 3, 2012

Time to start posting my paintings a day.....and the challenge of keeping up with that!  I love a challenge......making painting a priority, as much as I want to do it, is a challenge in itself.....being a queen of procrastination......but paint, paint, paint......the only way to move forward, learn......keep learning.  I started by doing Carol Marine's ten minute challenge.  Break your canvas up into 4 squares....or however many I suppose, pick one object and give yourself ten minutes to paint it....no cheating.  Its a great exercise for me because one of the things I would like to do is loosen up.  This is the third and most successful of this exercise.  
I have to admit that I did cheat a bit.....15 minutes each.  But I'll give this exercise a try again soon...and be more strict with myself.  The exercise evolved into a series of 6 x 8 paintings, one a day....most  of them now posted at www.dailypaintworks.com.  This was a big move for me, to go so public, as was this blog.  But if not now when, and so I got over myself and I'm happy with the results.  It's a great site, supportive and active, with new challenges posted weekly which are really helpful when you are struggling with finding something to paint on your own, and some amazing artists.  
This started the 6x 8 series
The Old Pitcher
Oil on Board
8 x 6
Followed by
Nasturtium
Oil on Board
6 x 8
I love flowers and am an avid gardener so they will no doubt be showing up in my paintings quite a bit.  Gardening, for me, is another way of painting.....an art form that I constantly learn from.
Dreams of Flight
Oil on Board
6 x 8
I have always been fascinated with Corvids, as well as bones, feathers, birds in general, well, nature and the cycle of life.  Another theme I imagine running through my paintings, bringing the interior out.
This was a very fast sketch and I think I will work on it some more....
Just Resting
Oil on Board
8 x 6
 My entry into the Birdbrain challenge.  So much fun to do!! First gull...I think I will do more.  They have so much character.  Now I'm off to take the pup for a walk.  Part of my routine is at least one good walk a day.  Cheers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment